Great Western War
Great Western War is an annual SCA camping event disguised as a war between the Kingdoms of Caid and the West. Every year on the second weekend of October, between two and three thousand people descend onto the shores of Lake Evans in the Buena Vista Aquatic Area outside of Bakersfield, CA for an event that has been described as part sporting event, part Renaissance Festival, and part Burning Man.
Some of the things you can enjoy either watching or participating in at Great Western War include:
● Heavy Weapons (SCA hard suit/armored) – Both large battles and tournaments; opportunities for ombat archery, crossbows, and siege weapons
● Rapier Combat (SCA Fencing) – Fighting over several days, both story-driven melees and tournaments.
● Equestrian – Activities over several days, games and challenges, staged castle siege, and other activities.
● Thrown Weapons (target only) – Challenges and games.
● Archery – Both battle and target scenarios over several days (and some evenings).
● Hound Coursing (dog courses) – Over several days.
● Youth Combat Activities over several days: games and challenges.
● Arts and Sciences – Workshops and classes: both hands-on and lecture series learning opportunities, including a track of classes especially for children and young adults.
● Merchants – Many shopping opportunities, including garb (costumes), armor, medieval and renaissance household goods, crafts, and even a food court.
● Volunteering – Amazing opportunities to get involved and help make the event happen.
● Scenery – Fantastic views, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, wildlife enjoying the park lake.